Looking for an opportunity to develop your writing and editing skills in a 100% remote role with a leading B2B publisher in the research space?
Search Engine Journal is a great place to share your experience and continue to build your SEO knowledge.
We’ve been covering the search industry and digital marketing world since 2003 with in-depth, actionable guides, tips, trends and insights, plus breaking news and analysis from the Search Engine Journal team and hundreds of industry experts.
We serve 3 million page views per month, 1.7 million visitors and half a million social media followers.
And we are looking for a qualified professional writer with a high level of SEO and digital marketing knowledge to help make our expert content shine.
Reviewers are an integral part of the editorial team, approaching each piece of content with a keen eye on editorial best practices and ensuring the best possible experience for readers.
You will work closely with our writers, editors, expert authors and other team members on a variety of content formats throughout our publishing process.
Ours is a highly collaborative environment where emotional intelligence, a positive attitude, and the ability to take and live with constructive feedback are essential.
Skills & Qualifications
- 3 years or more of experience in writing texts within an editorial team of a publishing house or a media.
- Solid knowledge of the AP style.
- Meticulous attention to detail and proven copy editing skills with the ability to meet deadlines.
- A team player with the ability to multi-task and excellent interpersonal and communication skills in English, both written and spoken.
- Familiarity with project management and remote collaboration tools such as Slack, Google Drive and Asana.
- Basic HTML skills and experience using WordPress CMS preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, Marketing or Communications (or equivalent experience).
- Experience in SEO or digital marketing.
- Strong organizational skills to manage workflow, multi-task and meet deadlines.
Responsibilities of the copy editor
- Copy news and information articles, e-books, white papers and reports.
- Use the expertise of style guides and language syntax to correct inconsistencies and errors in grammar, spelling and punctuation.
- Fact-checking information such as names, dates, and statistics.
- Check the style, readability and adherence to editorial policies of the text.
- Work with other editors and writers to rewrite text to improve clarity and readability.
- Focus on both the details and the big picture — fixing the tiniest of mistakes that have been overlooked while still sticking to the overall theme and intent of the content.
- Provide direction and feedback to editors as needed to ensure final content is aligned with SEJ’s style and mission.
- Make sure all formatting is correct in website articles.
- Write captions for photos, meta descriptions, alt text, etc.
- Contribute to the completion of additional ad hoc tasks for weekly issues and special editions.
Why work at SEJ?
This is a full-time remote position. You will work from home, your coworking space, an Airbnb – wherever you want.
We manage by execution or objectives. As long as you put in a lot of work, we’re happy campers.
Work/life balance is essential for all of us. If you regularly work more than 45 hours, you will have a friendly conversation. We want you to be functioning at 100% capacity, which means you need to rest.
There are significant career growth opportunities at SEJ because we are not trying to be a small company. We promote quickly once we have identified talent. Regardless of your qualifications, your commitment, your attitude and the quality of your work define your path.
We are also strongly anti-BS. Anyone in the company can (and should) tell the CEO when he’s wrong. There are no bureaucratic rules that hinder the performance of work.
That means no micromanagement either. Once you are trained and have demonstrated that you know your craft, we are pretty passive.
In fact, if you need outside direction to stay focused and motivated, we’re probably not the place for you.
We don’t operate through intense stress or unreasonable falling deadlines. Everyone wants you to succeed; domestic politics is at a minimum here.
We mean it when we say there are no toxic people allowed. Imagine never having to interact with toxic people at work – would that be nice?
We will invest in your training and career development. We want you and everyone else to constantly improve.
You will learn new things all the time and are strongly encouraged to invest time each day to learn, improve your system/work process, and simply try to make your life easier.
Interested? Send your CV, portfolio and references to [email protected] with “Copy Editor Application” in the subject line.
Please note that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Image source: Shutterstock/Tetiana Yurchenko