PRESS RELEASE: 5G SA has seen large-scale commercial use around the world. As the engine of the digital and intelligent transformation of thousands of industries, the 5G network faces the challenges and opportunities of the dual carbon era. There is a need to continuously adopt innovative technologies to build green infrastructure. In addition, advanced energy-saving and grid energy reduction technologies are needed to provide a driving force for the green development of thousands of industries, thereby providing greater development opportunities.
As the heart and brain of 5G network, it faces great challenges on how to save power and reduce consumption due to multiple types of NEs, large number of MOCs, distributed deployment and redundant resources. In addition, CN, as the brain of the network, must be smarter and more agile in order to accurately perceive the congestion status, type of service and EU location of network data download and delivery. , and can plan and orchestrate the network in real time. time and dynamically. In addition, CN can collaborate with other areas of the network to enable different industries and achieve end-to-end energy savings and reduced consumption. Therefore, the research and application of CN’s energy-saving and fuel-reduction technologies is essential.
Green engine solution
Faced with the opportunities and challenges of green development, ZTE launches the Green Engine solution based on the 5G common core. The solution is driven by the ideas of energy saving, activation and empowerment, oriented towards ToC and ToB scenarios, and based on four key technologies of cloud native, hyper-convergence, hardware acceleration and AI/automation. With this solution, ZTE achieves the green transformation of NFVI, VNF and MANO, promotes the capacity construction and continuous evolution of CNs, builds a green engine, saves energy for carrier networks, enables thousands of industries, empowers digital and smart production, and helps thousands of industries achieve the goal of double carbon in the age of the Internet of Everything (IoE).
NFVI: green base
The NFVI consists of two key components: the server hardware and the cloud platform. The goal of the green base is to build green servers and a green cloud platform.
Green Server: As the foundation of the green foundation, ZTE provides efficient computing through efficient power supply, heat dissipation, and architecture to optimize bit power consumption, reduce unnecessary power consumption, and greatly reduce the PUE.
- Efficient power supply: Multiple power supply modes, such as direct battery power supply and titanium power supply, are supported to improve power supply efficiency. Intelligent peak shift power-on avoids a sharp increase in instantaneous power consumption.
- Efficient Heat Dissipation: A full suite of liquid-cooled servers are provided to efficiently dissipate heat from high-power components. Using immersive liquid cooling in the data center resource pool size will allow the PUE to approach 1.01, which will save energy in the main equipment room.
- Efficient architecture: New architectures such as in-memory computing and near-memory computing are gradually being introduced, and new materials such as resistive random-access memory (RRAM) and phase-change memories (PCM) are being introduced. also introduced to reduce energy consumption by more than 50%. %.
- Efficient computing: Based on the characteristics of the service, the system implements efficient coordination of multiple computing powers. For example, with a combination of CPU and FPGA, FPGAs can directly transfer packets without being sent to CPUs and memories, thereby reducing data copy power consumption and bit power consumption.
Green Cloud Platform: As a unified management platform, the Green Cloud Platform protects the complexity of resources in terms of scale, type and layout, and provides abstract AIO computing power for applications. The Green Cloud Platform aims to save energy and reduce consumption while enhancing the Green Cloud Platform for various applications.
- Energy saving and consumption reduction: Dynamically adjusting resources according to power management and service requirements can effectively reduce energy consumption. At the same time, intelligent capacity prediction is implemented to plan and adjust resource pool capacity in advance to save resource consumption.
- Green empowerment: The platform delivers precise resources based on differentiated application requirements (such as acceleration and low latency) to achieve optimal resource matching. Additionally, basic core functionality (such as database and load balancing) is shared to reduce application power consumption.
VNF: Green Activation
In terms of Green Enabling, CN’s VNFs play the role of Green Enabling through multidimensional energy savings, including the following three aspects:
Cloud-native design and native power saving: VNF architecture is stateless design and resources can be saved by 20%. Microservices are used to implement service sharing, and the common service layer of cloud-native VNFs is built, reducing power consumption by up to 10%.
High performance UPF and smart power saving: Hardware acceleration, CPU core bonding and DPDK technologies are used to implement high efficiency UPF. Additionally, the built-in power saving mode is used to power on or sleep the processors as needed depending on the network traffic load. In-service smart observation has no impact on service smoothing. The forwarding plane requires only one physical processor core for in-service observation, reducing power consumption by up to 90%.
Full-Scenario Private Network Equipment, Green Enable: Cloud network hyperconvergence, precise IoT and other features are introduced to help IoT devices such as smart electricity meters, water meters and smart locks for public bicycles to achieve energy savings. For example, Precision IoT negotiates with terminals to provide a hierarchical power saving policy on demand, and instructs terminals to sleep periodically at second, hour, and day levels, extending the sleep time of IoT terminals. from ten to 1000 times.
MANO: Green Brain
This is another challenge on how to accurately monitor and manage CN while saving energy and reducing consumption. For example, these issues require a green brain for accurate tracking and management.
ZTE CN’s “green brain” is based on the entire O&M (planning, construction, maintenance and optimization) workflow. With intelligent automation of the entire workflow, green transformation of O&M is encouraged and a complete set of solutions for green building, energy consumption management, intelligent O&M and l optimization of energy consumption are created, so that energy savings can be easily seen and touched. and can be intelligently automated to enable eco-friendly operation.
Through continued cooperation with industry-leading operators, the ZTE 5GC Green Engine solution is playing an increasingly important role in the pursuit of dual carbon. With its advanced products and solutions, ZTE has carried out extensive cooperation with many operators and industrial enterprises around the world to build low-carbon CNs as green engines to improve the energy efficiency of power centers. data, accelerate the exit of old power-intensive network equipment, and build a new green, low-carbon, efficient and intelligent information infrastructure, to help industry operators and customers achieve the goal of green transformation in the era of dual carbon, and contribute to building a green earth.
Subscribe to our daily newsletter